Title: Tuesdays with Morrie
Author: Mitch Albom
Publisher: Random House
Year: 1997
Vocabulary
•asthma: a medical condition of the chest that makes breathing difficult.
•sigh: to take and then let out a long deep breath that can be heard, to show that you are disappointed, sad, tired, etc.
•sociology: the scientific study of the nature and development of society and social behaviour.
•reincarnation: the belief that after sb’s death their soul lives again in a new body
•verdict: a decision that is made by a jury in court, stating if sb is considered guilty of a crime or not
•study: to watch, or look at sb/sth carefully in order to find out sth
•syllabus: a list of the topics, books, etc. that students should study in a particular subject at school or college
•grin: to smile widely
•succumb: to not be able to fight an attack, an illness, a temptation, etc.
•shrug: to raise your shoulders and then drop them to show that you do not know or care about sth
Brief summary and personal reflection on the story
When I dropped by one bookstore by chance, I found this book in the bestseller section first. The title of this book attracted my attention, so I read it.
Morrie Schwartz, who was 78 year old sociology professor at Brandeis University was dying from Lou Gehrig's disease. Mitch Albom, who was his student used to visit Morrie's place on Tuesdays. They talked about the world, marriage, money or something although Morrie was dying. Morrie was not able to work, swim, walk, stand and eat alone, however, he wasn't depressed and even seemed like he enjoyed the rest of his life. Morrie realized that people and relationship are the most important in one's life as he was dying and going near the death. Mitch also became to know the most precious and valuable thing in his life. After Mitch's 14th visit, Morrie died when everyone was out of his room.
I thought that
I learned the greatest lesson in life from "Tuesdays with Morrie". We should think the life and the time that were given to us are valuable gift from the God. Therefore, we should take efforts to have worthy life. Morrie taught readers how to have worthy and happy life.
On the other hand, I envied Mitch Albom because he has the great teacher. Although there are many good teachers around me, I probably didn't meet the best teacher in my life. If I had a good advisor, I could lead my life more happily.
"Tuesdays with Morrie" was a feel-good story and gave me a chance to think deeply about life and death. I will never forget the greatest Morrie, and his tuesdays with Mitch.
uh..... do we have to post our book reports on our blogs? is it mandatory?
답글삭제...anyway thanks for the comments
답글삭제Lovely jisoo! hi~
답글삭제Your essay is so honest and impressive^0^
Thank you for your essay~ Bye^3^
You got 10 points for your blog management assignment. 10 Points mean "Excellent". You are a good student always.
답글삭제